To some people dieting is a life saver, to others it’s a word that leaves them shuddering at the thought. For me it’s a way of life that I don’t know a lot about as I’ve never actually attempted an ‘official’ diet before. Since January I’ve been eating clean 80% of the time, the remaining 20% being cheat meals and treats… which probably is the reason I’m not completely satisfied with my figure, but I’m only human and occasionally chocolate or a meal out is needed! Recently though I’ve become a little unmotivated with my healthy eating, I think that the turn in the weather and these darker evenings have something to do with it. I eat well for breakfast and lunch particularly because I utterly adore fruit and a good salad, it’s dinner and the unnecessary dessert that gets me every time. I eat vegetables regularly, but I eat more carbs than veg which totally defeats the point in actual fact. Ironically I weigh less now than I did a few months ago, sadly though I think that’s down to losing the little muscle that I’d gained, which was only a matter of time in reality.

I’m kind of against dieting personally, purely because you’re sacrificing certain food groups that your body needs to function. I tried the 5:2 diet for one day yesterday, I didn’t give it much of a go I know, but I wanted to see how it affected me in that one average day consisting of work and going to the gym for half an hour. I ate 600 calories during the day (instead of the recommended 500, as that seems utterly insane to me) and I must admit I was starving. I had a tiny portion of mini shredded wheat and dairy free coconut milk for breakfast, a small banana as my snack, a salad and a low fat yoghurt for lunch and a bowl of plain pasta for dinner. Breakfast and lunch were ok, but dinner was deeply unsatisfying. I fell asleep by 9pm and could barely crawl out of bed this morning, it became clear I needed the energy in protein and larger meals to go about my day normally. In reflection, this diet is not the way to go for me. Perhaps if you want to lose 10lb plus, but I’m only looking to lose 5lbs maximum.

This is where exercise comes in. I think that going back to a strict fitness regime alongside my healthy and consistent eating plan will allow me to see better results, perhaps I just didn’t give it long enough the first time round. My arms and stomach aren’t huge problem areas, I lost almost a stone within the first three months of the year and my waist became tiny. My legs and glutes (aka butt muscles) however are a different story. No matter what exercise I do they refuse to transform into slender cellulite free pins. I spent January to April running, power walking and using a cross trainer, followed by spending May to September completing an intense workout plan. All of which worked wonders everywhere but my legs and glutes. I’m thinking of taking up running again, but seriously this time. Not the odd 20 minute slow jog, something that’ll actually make a difference to my figure. At present I’m back on the cross trainer, but I’m also incorporating weights, ab work and various resistance leg workouts. Hopefully soon enough I’ll see a change that gives me the motivation I need!

I’d love to hear any success stories whether it’s in fitness, healthy eating or both. Please comment below or mail me directly at katiejanecollins@hotmail.co.uk if you have some tips to shed leg weight that you wouldn’t mind sharing with me!



  1. Megan
    November 27, 2014 / 2:37 PM

    I am currently doing the 5:2 diet and it is my second fasting day! I am struggling with hunger and becoming extremely bloated as soon as I eat! I have quite a lot of weight to loose tho so I have to stick at it. I am guessing it will get easier.. lets hope!
    I have tried many diets and this one seems to have the most success stories, so fingers crossed I am one of them.

    • November 27, 2014 / 2:42 PM

      I know what you mean Megan, I was exactly the same yesterday! I’m sure it will, I guess your body will adjust over time 🙂 Best of luck with it! X

  2. December 2, 2014 / 12:36 PM

    I struggle with my legs and bum too!! Cellulite is the devil. I’ve come to realise though that it’s more genetic/the way your body stores fat – so nothing can really ever get rid of it 🙁

    Try weightlifting and HIIT rather than just focussing on running too (do this as well though!) – i absolutely love lifting heavy; squats, deadlifts etc – you’ll be surprised at the transformation – it helped me A LOT 🙂 x

    • December 2, 2014 / 12:39 PM

      Hi Kelly! Thanks for your comment, you’ve given me faith with this!! How many reps do you tend to do with squats and deadlifts etc? X

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.





Subscribe to hear about new posts

%d bloggers like this:

Looking for Something?